Welcome to this historic landscape!
The Great Mountain Forest Corporation allows public access to the Great Mountain Forest, but only in a manner that is consistent with the management, research and educational objectives for the forest, which are such an integral part of the Corporation’s charitable mission. The corporation thus reserves the absolute right to control the quantity, type, location and times of public access in order to protect the Great Mountain Forest and safeguard the charitable mission of the Corporation. For your own safety and enjoyment, please respect the following rules and regulations:
Permission is NOT required for the following activities:
- - Hiking
- - Mountain biking
- - Cross-country skiing
- - Snowshoeing
These activities are permitted only on the forest roads, or clearly marked trails except during hunting season. Please sign in and sign out at the kiosk at either the east gate or west gate of the forest. Park in the designated parking area at the east gate. Park well off the traveled portion of Canaan Mountain Road at the west gate. Please do not block the gates.
Permission is required for the following activities:
- - Camping: As of this time, no campsites are available. Please contact us for further information.
- - Fishing: Permits are available on a limited basis at the Great Mountain Forest office. Please contact us for further information.
- - Boating: Non-motorized boating is permitted on Old Man McMullen Pond and Crissey Pond using boats provided by the Corporation. Limited types and numbers of boats are available. All boaters must obtain a boating permit from the GMF office, and shall be responsible for providing their own safety equipment such as required life preservers and flotation devices.
- - Group access: Access to the Great Mountain Forest by groups of 15 persons or more requires written permission from the GMF office. Please contact us for further information.
- - Vehicular access: Access to the Great Mountain Forest by motor vehicle is allowed only with advance permission from the GMF office. Please contact us for further information.
Access to the Great Mountain Forest by ATV or snowmobile is strictly forbidden.
Anything that you carry in, please carry out.
Trash receptacles are not provided.
A complete set of regulations can be found here.